Landlords Insurance

Landlords Insurance

Landlord Contents Insurance differs to Building Insurance.  It covers the cost of repairing or replacing household items like furniture and appliances if they are damaged, destroyed or stolen.

This could include items like:

  • Furniture – beds, wardrobes, dining tables, chairs and sofas
  • Kitchenware – pots, pans, cutlery and kettles
  • Electricals – TVs, DVD players

But this type of insurance only cover things that belong to you as the landlord. Tenants renting the home need to take out their own Contents Insurance should they wish to protect their belongings.


There is no legal obligation for a landlord to take out a dedicated insurance policy.  But, it’s important to note that a conventional home insurance policy won’t cover you for rental activities.

If you have a mortgage on your property, it’s likely that your lender will require you to take out Building Insurance before you take on tenants.

At Mortgage Confidence, we can offer landlords additional cover for Rental Income and Malicious Damage should it be required.

We organise insurance for our mortgage customers free of charge and we’re happy to extend that service to anyone looking to put insurance in place or renew an existing policy.